In the mid 1950's a group of enthusiastic and concerned citizens saw the need for a public library in Lower Southampton Township. These citizens with the assistance of local clubs and businesses collected books that became part of the library's original collection. The Township Library became a reality when it opened its doors on May 5, 1956 in the basement of the unused Feasterville School located on Bustleton Pike. When the library opened, there were 2,100 donated books in the collection. In 1966 the Library moved to its second location - The Lower Southampton Township Building.
In the next three decades many innovations were made at the Township Library including: establishing evening and Saturday hours, expanding Children's Programming, creating the Friends of the Library, diversifying the collection by purchasing more audio and visual materials, and the acquisition of twelve computers. In the mid 1990's the Township recognized the need for a larger state of the art facility and purchased the Town and Country Warehouse located on Bridgetown Pike. After extensive renovations, the current Township Library opened on April 19, 2004. Today our library serves over 10,000 registered users, and circulates approximately 85,000 items a year. From a cellar in a basement of an unused school building to a modern 13,000 square foot building, the new Township Library is truly a valuable resource in our community.