Morrisville Free Library

Accomplishments & History

After its start in 1904 in the front parlor of Bertha Peasey's home on Banks Street, the Morrisville Free Library moved in 1906 to the basement of the Borough Council Building. Volunteers went door to door to promote the library, dances were held to raise money, and many patrons paid a $1.50 membership fee. By 1923 a Morrisville Library Board of Directors was formed and the library moved to the newly built Morrisville Community House. Later, the Morrisville Women's Club took responsibility for running the library and recognized the need for more space. The library moved to the basement of historic Summerseat for several years, but quickly outgrew this space too. The Morrisville Women's Club then went door to door collecting signatures for a referendum. This referendum proposed the purchase of the Episcopal Church on Pennsylvania and Palmer Avenues for the Morrisville Library. The referendum passed, and with the help of local scout troops and other volunteers organized by the Women's Group, the library moved to its current location in October 1968.

page footer WishList POWER Library Ask Here PA Facebook Online Book Club audio and e-books Room Reserve