Be safe and surf smart! Here are some tips to help.
- Unless you change the privacy settings on your blog or profile, anyone has access to it.
- Be smart and don't post anything on your blog or profile you wouldn't want your teacher, coach, or future employer or college recruiter to see.
- Talk to a parent, guardian, or another trusted adult if something posted on your blog, site, or the internet makes you scared, confused, or uncomfortable. Trust your intuition; if it doesn't feel right, report it.
- Never give out your password to anyone except your parent or guardian.
- Don't give any personal information, photos, or videos to someone you don't know over the internet.
- Don't post personal information about yourself or your friends such as your cell phone number, school, or address on your blog or website.
- When surfing online, be aware of misleading websites when you are searching for information or a homework assignment.
- Don't meet anyone you have only talked to online in person.
- Don't respond to threatening or harassing emails, posts, and IM's.
Be sure to:
- Check the privacy settings on your blog or website. Make sure you need to approve people to "friend" you.
- Save and print any questionable activity to your blog or website and include the date and time.
Check this website for more information about safety and the internet:Â http://www.netsmartz.org/netteens.htm